August 22 Updates
Very Important: We have an immediate need for volunteers to help us CANVASS in Eureka. No experience required! And you don’t have to live in Eureka to help. We have been knocking on doors every day, and we need more people. We will prepare you to canvass for Measure R, provide simple outreach supplies, and pair you up with a person who has experience. Then we’ll hit the streets, talk with Eureka residents about the fight for $12 in Eureka, and register more voters. We’ve registered about 350 Eureka residents so far!
WE NEED YOUR HELP TO RAISE WAGES
- We need you to VOLUNTEER your time and energy to help with phone calls, data entry, sign delivery, tabling at events, graphic art, etc.- your skills are needed.
- YARD SIGNS for Measure R are being made by a small, local printing shop. Very exciting! Let us know if you’d like us to bring you a yard sign (or a smaller window sign) to display at your home or business in support of the Fair Wage Act! Here’s what it looks like.
- We’re hosting another outdoor FAIR WAGE CAFE at Cesar Chavez Park (Hammond Park), at 14th and F, Eureka (with the tennis courts and playground). It will be held sometime in September, on a Saturday. We’ll finalize the date soon. Enjoy nutritious, yummy food, live local music, kid’s games, and family fun from 12noon to 5pm. Bring friends, co-workers, neighbors, and the whole family out for a day in the park! It’s all free!
- Measure R recently received the unanimous endorsement of the Humboldt County Democratic Central Committee. Our thanks to them for their support of Measure R, and we’re pleased to add them to the growing list of organizations and individuals that stand behind Eureka’s working families.
Endorsers of Measure R, the Eureka Fair Wage Act, we thank you:
- Humboldt and Del Norte Central Labor Council
- Humboldt County Democratic Central Committee
- Roosevelt Institute at Humboldt State University
- Humboldt County Green Party
- SEIU Local 1021- a union of 54,000 workers in Northern California
- United Food and Commercial Workers Local #5
- Humboldt Unitarian Universalist Social Action Committee
- Progressive Democrats
- Operating Engineers Union local #3
- Building and Construction Trades Council of Humboldt and Del Norte Counties
- Eureka City Council member Linda Atkins
- former Eureka City Council member Chris Kerrigan
- Natalie Arroyo*
- Kim Bergel*
(*We hope Natalie Arroyo and Kim Bergel will be Eureka City Council members in the near future)
- Brave New Films, a non-profit documentary film company, is making a pro-minimum wage raise video that will be ready by Labor Day weekend. They have contacted us, and we will have the video to show on Access Humboldt, the internet, wherever we (and you) can spread it. It will include Eureka’s Measure R information!
- Please consider giving a FINANCIAL DONATION of any amount to the Measure R campaign. It is run solely by volunteers in the community. Donations will help us print important campaign materials, fund radio spots, and help pay for web space. Donate today at FAIRWAGES.ORG. You can mail us a contribution, donate online, hand us money, a check, or money order in person– however it works for you!
- If you haven’t seen our new website, please go to its easy-to-remember address, fairwages.org. Also, we continue to host the blog, eurekafairwageact.wordpress.com where, for almost two years, we’ve been posting research, news, events, etc. about raising wages.
- We’re on Facebook. “Friend” us at Fair Wage Folks. “Like” us at Eureka Fair Wage Act and Measure R.
Help us get the vote out for Measure R!
Fair is fair! We need this!
For the people,
The Fair Wage Folks